Happy Cinco de Mayo! We fully endorse making yourself a margarita or cracking a Corona, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Mexico has amazing cannabis news to celebrate this Cinco de Mayo. In March, 2021 lawmakers in Mexico approved a bill to legalize recreational cannabis. Once the bill is finalized, Mexico is set to become the 3rd country in the world to legalize cannabis, after Uruguay and Canada. Based on Mexico's population of 127 million people, Mexico will become the largest legalized cannabis market in the world!
When will cannabis become legal in Mexico ?
The bill was expected to have final approval in a legislative session by April 30, 2021, but due to the ongoing pandemic the next legislative review is now expected in September 2021.
What will be allowed with the legalization of cannabis in Mexico?
The laws are not yet finalized but below are the laws in the current bill:
- Legal Age: 18 +
- Public Possession: An adult 18+ may have 28 grams (1 oz) of cannabis in public
- Home Cultivation: A person living alone can have up to 6 plants in their home, or 8 per household where 2 or more adults live.
- Public Consumption: Adults 18+ can consume cannabis as long as they do not do so in front of a minor or any other person who does not consent
- Consumption Lounges: Cannabis recreational consumption clubs may be created with a minimum of 2 members and a maximum of 20.
- Sales: Recreational adult use cannabis stores are set to open throughout the country in 2022.
Where else is cannabis legal ?
Check out the "trip-advisor" for cannabis laws at canniknow.com.
Is Stori storage and organizer available in Mexico yet ?
Stori has made its way to our amazing customers in Mexico right in time for Cinco de Mayo celebrations! Stay tuned for some exciting Stori partnership news in Mexico.